I was driving into Windham yesterday, carefully navigating the inches of wet snow that covered the roads, when I heard an interesting bit on the radio: They were discussing how long this winter has been and how ready they are for it to be over. They even performed a version of Lamb Chops’ Sing-A-Long “This is the winter that doesn’t end, The temperature is stuck at 10…”
Even though this has been a tough winter, every skier and boarder is reluctant to see the season draw to an end, no matter how much they yearn for spring to arrive. Luckily for us, March provides a rare opportunity to get the best of both worlds. In honor of our favorite month of skiing here at Windham Mountain, here are the 5 Reasons to Love March Skiing:
- Spring Conditions: As much as we love our gear, nothing is better than being able to go skiing or boarding without your coat. On the perfect March day the sun is warm enough to soften the snow and start your tan, but the breeze still has a crispness that keeps you comfortable. After a winter of biting cold, we are in desperate need of spring conditions to reinvigorate our love for the snow.
- BBQ’s and DJ’s and Parties, Oh My! Our Party Patio really comes alive in March. With the scent of our BBQ wafting onto the slope and the DJ keeping the mood alive, who would want to go inside? Our Spring Fling, held on the last weekend March, is the quintessential meeting between the summer beach party and the ski season. Pond skimming is a blast to watch, especially when competitors skim across the water in their bathing suits!
- St. Patrick’s Day: Let’s be honest – this holiday is pure genius. This is the one holiday when being festive isn’t commercial, it’s just a lot of fun. We get to wear green, look for leprechauns and celebrate like the Irish guilt free! And of course, being that St. Patty’s Day is on a Thursday this year, we will take the opportunity to extend it to a weekend-long celebration.
- Daylight Savings: Part of the reason that we are so sick of winter is because of the lack of sunlight. Thankfully, now the days are getting longer and now we have sunlight from when the lifts open to dinner time. And after daylight savings in mid-March, we get to wake up to sunlight, which is great every morning expect the one after St. Patty’s Day.
- March Deals: Leftover gear is ripe for the picking in March, with ski shops looking to sell and avid skiers and boarders already thinking about next season. At Windham, Early Bird deals mean fantastic prices on season passes for next year that are good through the month of March. And lets face it – finding a great sale makes everyone happy!
Here’s to hoping that March will come in like a lion, and out like a lamb!